Report - Review of E-commerce Legislation Harmonization in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (2013), UNCTAD/DTL/STICT/2013/1
UNITED NATIONS PUBLICATION?
Galexia and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) have released a major report, entitled Review of E-commerce Legislation Harmonization in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (2013).
Galexia Director Chris Connolly was a major contributor to the report. The report is a follow-up to Galexia's previous AusAID funded project to harmonise e-commerce legal infrastructure in ASEAN (2004-2009) and Galexia’s earlier study for the UNCTAD Information Economy Report on cyberlaw harmonisation in 2008.
The report documents the significant advances made by ASEAN countries in the area of e-commerce laws. It also makes proposals for accelerating the process of regional integration and harmonization as outlined in the ASEAN ICT Masterplan 2015.
Galexia’s extensive and detailed work with ASEAN has assisted ASEAN be the first region in the developing world to adopt a harmonized legal framework for e-commerce and it is the most advanced developing region in terms of implementing harmonized e-commerce laws.
The review includes detailed regional and national analysis of e-commerce laws, privacy, cybercrime and cloud computing.
Browse the Research Report
- Download the Research Report as a PDF
- Browse Galexia's micro-site
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Background to the ASEAN e-commerce law harmonization process
- Why is cyberlaw reform important for the region?
- The harmonization of e-commerce laws can facilitate development in ASEAN in several key areas.
- The current status of e-commerce law harmonization in ASEAN
- THE CURRENT PROJECT
- TOWARDS E-COMMERCE LEGAL HARMONIZATION IN ASEAN
- Identification of key challenges
- Commission an updated roadmap
- Strengthen information sharing within ASEAN
- Build capacity in key areas
- Take steps to further cross-border harmonization in three key areas
- Establish a regional online dispute resolution facility
- Monitor harmonization of e-commerce laws in ASEAN member countries
- Embark on a new multi-year project with UNCTAD to contribute to the ASEAN ICT Masterplan 2015
- REPORT ON THE LEGAL FRAMEWORKS OF ASEAN COUNTRIES
- ANNEX 1. Compendium of e-commerce laws in ASEAN member States (as of March 2013)
- ANNEX 2. Challenges to the enactment and enforcement of e-commerce laws within ASEAN based on the responses from the questionnaire
- ANNEX 3. List of ASEAN delegates who contributed to the Review
- ANNEX 4. List of selected UNCTAD publications in the area of ICT and legal issues
- Full Contents