About Us - Galexia News
PM&C / Office of the National Data Commissioner (ONDC) releases Discussion Paper and accepts recommendations from Galexia’s PIA on the proposed Data Sharing and Release legislative framework - 3 September 2019
In July 2018 Galexia was engaged to provide privacy advice and an independent and public Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) on the proposed policy settings and related legislative reforms surrounding the Data Sharing & Release (DS&R) Framework.
The PIA was prepared prior to the finalisation of the Data Sharing & Release Bill and Galexia’s engagement process facilitated the Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister & Cabinet (DPMC) <www.pmc.gov.au> and Office of the National Data Commissioner (ONDC) <www.datacommissioner.gov.au> to adopt an iterative approach to the development of the policy settings and to the Data Sharing & Release Framework.
The purpose of the PIA is to assist in identifying and managing privacy issues that are raised by the proposed framework for the sharing and release of data that will be facilitated by the Data Sharing & Release Bill. The key proposals are:
- To enable a range of data sharing and data release activities for permitted purposes; and
- To create an effective governance framework for the proposed data sharing and the release of public sector data.
In September 2019 this PIA was publicly released with an accompanying discussion paper - all Galexia’s recommendations have been accepted.
The Privacy Impact Assessment and Discussion Paper are available from the following links:
- Minister for Government Services Media Release » [External link - 3 September 2019]
- National Data Commissioner - Embedding a privacy-by-design approach in how we develop legislation » [External link - 3 September 2019]
- Discussion Paper and Privacy Impact Assessment on Data Sharing and Release legislative reforms is open for public consultation until 15 October 2019 » [External link - 3 September 2019]
- View PIA and DPMC/ONDC response to recommendations » [Galexia - PDF]