About Us - Galexia News
CHOICE submission on consumer code development processes - 2 June 2009
CHOICE has published its submission to the Australian Government’s review of the consumer-related industry codes development process. The submission calls for
- An articulation of high-level code content principles in legislation;
- Power for regulators to be able to initiate code development (rather than only the industry);
- Requirements for the constitution of code development bodies (including a requirement for consumer representatives, and a mechanism for breaking deadlocks);
- Code monitoring and enforcement requirements;
- Code review requirements; and
- External dispute resolution requirements.
In preparation for the submission, Galexia provided CHOICE with a survey of key consumer code approval processes in use in Australia - those of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
- Read CHOICE’s submission (external site) »
- Review of consumer-related industry code processes at DBCDE (external site) »