BSA & Galexia Global Coud Computing Scorecard (2018) - Galexia Analytics Release

2018 Rank 7. Canada - Score: 79.98 | Change from 2016 - Rank: -3

Canada’s data protection regulations are compatible with globally recognized frameworks that facilitate international data transfers. In 2015, Canada also ratified the Council of Europe Cybercrime Convention and implemented computer crime legislation that apply to most cybercrimes, although there are some limitations. Canada’s Cyber Security Strategy, however, is not considered to be current and is undergoing review.

In 2014, Canada ratified the WIPO Copyright Treaty, sealing a recent period of improved copyright regulation and enforcement in areas relevant to cloud computing. However, Canada’s results in this section are somewhat affected by the limited protection offered to trade secrets.

Canada also achieves strong results in the sections covering international standards and the promotion of free trade.

Finally, Canada scores well in the information technology (IT) infrastructure section of the scorecard. In December 2016, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission issued a policy declaring high-speed broadband as an essential service. According to the policy, by 2021 90 percent of premises are to have access speeds of at least 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload and unlimited data allowance. The remaining 10 percent of premises are to achieve this target by 2026-2031. This universal goal has been supplemented by a fund to pay for relevant projects.

There were very few changes in Canada’s results from the previous Scorecard. The minor difference in Canada’s position in the rankings — a slide from fourth to seventh — was caused not by policy changes in Canada but by the rebalancing of the Scorecard methodology.

The rank for Canada in this year's Scorecard is:
- 7th overall,
- 5th for legal and policy, and
- 8th for IT readiness and broadband deployment.

Within legal and policy themes for cloud readiness Canada has the following rankings:
- 1st for data privacy
- 13th for security
- 15th for cybercrime
- 10th for intellectual property rights
- 1st for standards and international harmonization
- 1st for promoting free trade

View the Country Report (PDF) »

[ Galexia Dots ]